In all Italian families food is super important. Especially dinners.
Even ordinary dinner times are some kind of a small feast. To keep up with the traditional rituals and give them a modern twist, I like to simplify the meals while still creating something different and exciting.
For a long, I was planning to make these spicy tuna potatoes nests. Finally, I have made them on Thursday night (Friday is a pizza night) and they were a real hit.
Delicious spicy tuna potatoes nests
After battling with a piping bag, which is still a challenge for me. circle like I’m squeezing it too hard and potato puree was coming out on both sides. I guess its just something I will need to practice more!
The potatoes nests came out pretty cool looking and even tastier than I have expected.
To prepare the potatoes I have used the Homemade Duchess potatoes recipe and then I have prepared the spicy tuna mix on the side.
These potatoes nests can be easily accompanied by a seasonal salad if you are planning it to be your main dish, or you can serve it as a warm appetizer before the fish platter. If you like potatoes as a side dish, this a perfect solution for you.
How to make Spicy tuna potatoes nests
Using the recipes for duchess potatoes I have prepared the potatoes puree and placed it in the piping bag.
In order to know the exact size of each nest I have used the cup and pen to draw the circles on the baking paper. Once turned on the other side, the circles were still very visible and I could trace it with a potato puree.
PRO TIP: Make sure you account for the nest walls and the hole you will leave empty for the stuffing. The nest will lower a bit during the baking time, so take that into account when creating the nest.
Start by making the base of the nest first and then circulate on the edges to make the nests walls. The potatoes nests I have made were 6 cm in diameter, with an opening of 4 cm.
Once all are done place them in preheated oven to 200 C and bake them for 15 min.
How to make spicy tuna stuffing.
My mother in law makes this amazing traditional chopped peperoncino sauce (chilly peppers) in olive oil. We use it often when we want to add a bit of spice to our food. Its chopped in small pieces and loaded with spice and warm flavor.
I know that if you live outside Italy it’s hard to find a typical Italian peperoncino sauce, so I have done a lot of research and have found Tutto Calabria Hot Chili Peppers Crushed. This way you can have a taste of real Italian stuff.
In case you didn’t know Calabria is based in the south Italy, to be precise, the tip of the boot.
Now, since you have already done the biggest part of preparing the potatoes nests, the rest will be a piece of cake.
You will need to mix following ingredients and you will have a delicious stuffing for your potatoes nests.
- peperoncino (chopped chilly peppers)
- fresh parsley
- pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
By now your potatoes nests should be ready to be stuffed with spicy tuna. Remove them from the oven and add the stuffing and place back in the oven for 10 minutes. If you have the grill in your oven use it.
Before serving this delicious spicy tuna potatoes nests drizzle it with the extra virgin olive oil and give it another pinch of chopped fresh parsley.
I hope that you will enjoy these delicious spicy tuna bites and that you will make them in many occasions.
Did you LOVE this recipe?
Show it some love and send it to your friends, share on Facebook and don’t forget to pin it on Pinterest.
Serves 12 - 15 spicy tuna potatoes nests
Slavi - Italian Kitchen Stories
This is my go to appetizer when I'm preparing the fish based dinner. The spicy tuna is a perfect addition for your meal of it can become your main dish with a salad on a side. Crunchy on outside with creamy spicy stuffing will make your mouth water with every single bite.
25 minPrep Time
50 minCook Time
1 hr, 15 Total Time
- 3 cans of tuna (I have used 90 grams a piece)
- 3 teaspoons of peperoncino mix (this stuff if quite hot so be careful)
- 2 table spoons of capers
- Fresh parsley (I like to add a generous bunch)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Prepare the potatoes mix following the homemade Duchess potatoes recipe.
- Place the mix into the piping bag and create the nests. First prepare the base and then the walls of the nest.
- Once all nests are created, place them in preheated oven and bake them for 10-12 minutes on 200C (or until golden brown).
- In the mean time prepare the stuffing.
- Wash and chop the fresh parsley placing it into the bowl, drain tuna and add it to the bowl, together with peperoncino and salt & pepper.
- Mix all well together.
- Once the nests are baked, take them out and while still on the baking tray fill with the spicy tuna stuffing.
- Place them back in the oven and bake for another 10 minutes (if you have the grill use it).
- Serve the potatoes nests warm, sprinkled with fresh parsley and drizzled with extra virgin olive oil.