Baked Pears – easy Italian dessert
Do you struggle to eat fruit on a regular basis? How about if I told you, that you can eat the fruit in the form of a dessert?
What about pears! They are fruit! But hey, they are my yummy dessert too! How about that?!
If that is your case I’m gonna teach you how to make this super tasty fruit dessert. Today we going to be making some baked pears!
Preparing the yummy baked pears with maple syrup as a dessert becomes a whole new game in the world of fruit and desserts.
What I love about these aromatic baked pears is the combination of crunchy hazelnut, deep cinnamon aroma, sweetness from maple syrup and zesty, juicy orange that binds all together.
How to serve baked pears?
When it comes to serving these delicious pears I think about two main ways:
A) Kids friendly – hot or cold with some vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
B) Adult version – I have added some brandy in the orange juice and have mixed it with the baking syrup I have had left after removing pears from the tray. Stir all together and pour it over the pears. Trust me, they were just amazing!
Baking pears recipe
The fact that this recipe is so simple it doesn’t diminish its value or yumminess! 🙂
To prepare it:
1.Wash the pears and slice them in half without peeling them. Remove the seed center by creating the small hole and remove the central chewy bit that goes all up to the stalk.
2. Place the pears on the baking tray facing upwards and sprinkle with ground cinnamon and over it with add chopped hazelnuts covering the whole pear. Then take the maple syrup and drizzle over the pear.
3. On the end take a sharp knife and peel the orange peel very finely. Make sure you don’t peel off the white part of the orange peel as it adds bitterness. Then slice the orange and squeeze the get all the juice out.
Add lightly the orange juice over pears making sure you don’t remove the hazelnuts. Twist the orange peel to get all essential oils out and add them to the baking tray. Orange peel will spread an amazing fragrance.
4. Place in oven and bake until soft
->How long do you bake pears?
Depending on how mature are the pears. If you have ripe pears, means that they are already soft then you can bake them for 10-15 minutes and they will be ready.
In my baked pears recipe above I have used hard green pears and I baked them for about 25-30 minutes.
When selecting them in the store I was making sure that pears are similar sizes so that they would be ready at the same time.
-> How do you make roasted pears?
Wash the pears, slice them in half and remove the center of the pear with its seeds and the stringy fibers. Place them in a baking tray with the cut side facing upwards.
You can glaze them with honey, maple syrup or some brown sugar. Roast the pears in your oven until you notice that they have become soft and juicy.
-> Do pears have to be ripe to bake?
No, pears don’t have to be ripe in order to be good for baking. The difference will be the amount of sugar developed in the mature stage of the pear. The more ripe is the pear, the more sugar it contains.
Baked pears with maple syrup are my go-to dessert when I need to make something quick and no hassle.
If you like fruit dessert ideas, check my other recipes:
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #italiankitchenstories
Serves Serves 6 portions
Yields 12 halves of baked pears
This Baked Pears Recipe is my easy fruit dessert recipe which even the beginners can easily make. I would say that this dessert is above simple, tasty and satisfying. Try it! 🙂
5 minPrep Time
30 minTotal Time
- 6 pears (I have used 1 pear per person)
- 2 oranges
- 100 grams of chopped hazelnuts
- 6 tablespoons of maple syrup (my pears were quite sweet themselves)
- lots of cinnamon (we like it so I use generous amount)
- Wash the pears and slice them on half. I don't peal them, but you can do as you like.
- Take out the seeds by carving a hole.
- Place the pears in the baking tray with the sliced part facing upwards.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon all halves.
- With a spoon add carefully chopped hazelnuts all over the pears.
- Pour gently maple syrup over pears.
- Wash the orange and then with a sharp knife remove the peal, twist is to get going its aromatic oils and place it next to pears on baking tray.
- Squeeze the fresh orange juice and sprinkle all over the pears.
- Place the baking tray in the preheated oven to 200C (400F) and bake to 20-25 min.
- Serve immediately or when cooled down.